I as now close the first chapter in my Great Parisian Adventure, the chapter where I have been dipping my toes in the ex-pat pool for the past six weeks, kind of like a test drive of REALLY living in Paris, I am already full of anticipation, thinking about what's next. I am anticipating:
- How I am going to spend my last weekend (in 2006) here in Paris/Vincennes and what else I can cram into the next 48 hours, realizing of course that I WILL be back and have ample time to explore to my heart's content;
- The cleaning and packing and generally putting everything back where I found it so that P can come back to her home and find it in one piece (at least I didn't burn the place down);
- A long flight home on Tuesday with my best friend meeting me at the airport;
- Spending Tuesday evening with my family, having pizza (which I haven't had since JULY due to my weight-loss efforts and there really being no good pizza in Paris, not by New Jersey standards anyway);
- Enjoying watching my family taste macarons from Laduree for dessert on Tuesday, which is the special treat I am bringing with me;
- Doing all my last minute Christmas preparations although the gifts have all been purchased here;
- Watching everyone open the gifts I've brought from Paris and London - this is one Christmas where no one is getting gift certificates from the GAP or Macy's;
- Meeting with some new clients for some potentially VERY cool writing projects and hopefully closing a deal or two;
- Selling my car for what I hope will be a fair price;
- Spending several weeks catching up with friends;
- Stockpiling the things I've put on my list of "Things to Bring Back to Paris" and packing again;
- Coming back to Paris and settling in for the year in a new apartment and new neighborhood which from all accounts seems terrific, and with new friends to be met!
Tonight as I sat in very chilly December weather and clear skies on a bateau-mouche tour of Paris with a friend from back home, I realized what a very lucky girl I am to have so many good things to look forward to in the coming year.
Sometimes I really cannot believe how blessed I feel to have this opportunity. I know I created it myself, but still... I can't help but feel grateful, like someone has just handed me the biggst gift.